Friday, September 30, 2011

review

So yes, product review! I got two packages in the mail this week, one from ELF and one from FOLICA. I will do ELF first: I've never ordered from the site because if you live in the states you can just go to any target and find their products and you dont have to spend six dollars on shipping but the site was running a promotion where if you spend 15+ dollars you get 50% off your order, so I think I got something like seven products for 12 dollars?

misc


1) Eyebrow junk. I bought the eyebrow creme palette & the eyebrow filler/lifter pencil & the eyebrow stencils. The creme palette is AMAZING and I completely rec it, thr darker shade is a creme you brush in and the lighter shade is a powder and neither are overpowering, sticky, or clumpy (I've been using it everyday). The eyebrow pencil was a huge bust and I will tell you why, which is probably personal to me, but it is a jumbo pencil and it is IMPOSSIBLE to get delicate lines out of a jumbo pencil, I don't care how sharp you get it. If I wanted to draw on a thin line and work it in with a brush I could probably get use out of it but I'd just assume stay with my normal eyebrow pencil (I will say that it has a built in pencil sharpner which is nice for 1.00 because it is impossible to find jumbo pencil sharpners :p) The eyebrow stencils are just a fun product - I don't think I can really use them because I have black eyebrows and have to use dark brown fillers so when you draw on eyebrows that thickly with such dark colors you come away looking like charlie chaplin :p but the product itself is nice, each arch is an individual piece of soft plastic that is really pliable and I think there are something like six different stencils? 3.00, not terrible.

misc

misc

2) Purple eyeliner. I actually bought this to use on my lips because I couldnt find a good, solid violet lipstick - I plan to just use a sheer matte lipgloss after I fill my lips in with it. For 1.00 the color is spot on and vibrant and I have no complaints.

misc

3) Nail polish is nailpolish - I plan to dump each of these bottles out by half and fill with black and make black-reds for winter but for, again, 3.00, you can't beat 3 polishes.

Folica hair products

1) Purple shampoo & conditioner. I have been using shiny silver for a while and it probably ranks fourth on my list of favorite toning shampoos - the only reason I really stay with it is because I get good discounts on folica & it comes out pretty cheap & shiny silver is the only toning shampoo they offer. The problem: it is a thin purple, once you start scrubbing it into your hair the sudz is white whereas if you use shimmer lights or a better shampoo the sudz stays purple, so you get a feeling it isn't really toning much. The conditioner is TERRIBLE - this is my first time buying it and I def won't be buying it again, it is SO THIN and the purple isn't even there, rub your fingers together and it's gone. You might say 'oh, it's a conditioner and is supposed to tone paler'. NO. If you spend money on a good toning conditioner like AG sterling silver the conditioner is so thick and the purple is so vibrant (but AG runs 50+ a bottle so..) You get what you pay for, I guess, and this conditioner was 8.00? But again, if you're totally platinum and you just want a watery mild toning conditioner for daily use this is probably perfect for you. The one great thing about this brand is the smell - alot of people complain about toning scents but this brand uses tangerine & grapefruit and it SMELLS SO GOOD.

misc

2) Liquid toner. I've used Wella color charm in silver lady for some time. It works well but my issues are that if you bleach your hair pale enough to take white and silver toning it is so damaged that it doesn't hold color at all. So this toner is great and I use it once a month after I bleach my roots but it washes out three washings later. Oh well, I will keep using it until I find a good vegetable based toner that isnt watered down.

3) It's a ten hair mask. This mask (and most masks) was 25.00 which blew my mind (because I already spend so much on hair products), but I really wanted to try a hair mask so this is the one I went with because it had great reviews. IT IS SO skdjas THE LUXERY. I rec this 100% and if you dont have fried hair like I do I will just bet it makes your hair feel like silk - even my totally stripped hair felt beautiful after one use. It is basically a really expensive conditioner, you use it like a conditioner and wash it out after six minutes. IT SMELLS REALLY BEAUTIFUL and is so thick that you literally have to scoop it out and it keeps form on your fingers.

misc

4) Roux temporary hair color mousse. THIS IS AMAZING. My favorite purchase by far. In the example photos you can see splashes of my actual hair color where I didn't cover it well enough, the bits that are yellowish, so you get a good idea of how well this colors/covers (and when youre dealing with silver/white products you always have to be skeptical they are going to be too watery so this was a good surprise). It is basically just a tinted mousse that you put into towel dried hair and it gives you that mousse hair texture (I brushed mine out after it dried but next time i might keep the textured waves). The only downfall is that it makes your hair feel filthy, because of the mousse and texturing. In any case I don't think I can live without this product. 10.00 a can, and they make all kinds of different colors, even another silver that I might try.

misc

misc

misc

(sorry for the mask, this was at 630AM when I woke up for classes and hadn't showered or brushed my hair or anything, I have to fit photos in when I can :p) BUT YES, ROUX COLOR MOUSSE. GO BUY IT, MIRACLE. Who knew this was all I needed when I wanted silver hair and have been killing myself with liquid activator toners. Note the streaks of my actual yellow color in these photos. Pretty good coverage overall and not too streaky.

misc

misc

misc

No comments:

Post a Comment