Saturday, January 14, 2012

outfit + review

daily outfits



This is a little review of a few products I bought last week :) As a point of interest you will NEVER convince me that high end is equivalently better than low end makeup. I think this runs true for any creme based makeup - concealer, foundation, eyeliner, lipstick, maybe finishing powder. But as for pigment based powders like eyeshadow, blush, bronzers I truly believe from experience that there is little to no difference outside of color and translucency. I find cheap pigments to be generally more pigmented / thick and in need of more blending and lighter application but if we are talking about a five dollar eyeshadow palette versus a sixty dollar eyeshadow palette then I say roll my sleeves up because I am taking a big brush and blending and spending my other fifty-five dollars on shoes.

First up, ELF haul. My rant above says all I need to say about ELF. You aren't going to find me using an elf foundation, finishing powder or eyeliner but their pigments are just fine, if not thick. Also the packaging of their first generation products is this ugly white barbie show plastic but their newer line of products with the black finishes all have really appealing packaging, albeit simple. It makes me think of NARS minus a great typography for their logo.

In all, with six dollar shipping, I think I paid twenty-five dollars for all of these ELF products and because all of these are things I dont normally use because I have a four product core daily routine I had alot of fun trying out things I've never used.

misc

I got an eyeshadow palette in 'warm'. No fancy individual names for every pan but this cost, max, five dollars and it has an excellent mixture of shimmer and matte shadows and none of them are 'too pigmented'; even the matte grey and black apply fairly light - too light if I have any complaints.

misc

misc

A blonzer/blush combo and a single blush. The combo gets compared to NARS laguna/orgasm is alot of youtube videos. I don't know. I will say I bought this palette for the bronzer and it is way, way, way too dark for pale skin because it is very pigmented, so even if you blend your heart out this is going to go rocky-horror on you if you're fair skinned. I will say, though, that it gets alot of good reviews on youtube from girls who tan or have dark skin-tones and I think the pink blush (which has a very light shimmer as opposed to NARS orgasm and it's gold pearls) would also compliment dark skin. Not bad products just nothing I can use with fair skin.

The single blush is nice, in the color 'berry merry'. It was the darkest shade they have because I tend to like dark eyes, lips and cheeks on pale skin. Very pigmented so it just takes some blending and very little product.

misc

misc

The eyebrow set in 'dark' and a concealer/highlighter wand.

I've already gone through one previous purchase of the eyebrow palette so to say I like this is an understatement, it's part of my core, everyday makeup. The darker wax is great for black hair naturals because it's dark enough that it blends in perfectly without being jet black and making you come off as charlie chaplin. The dupe is a powder and I don't know what it is for. It isn't even a lighter brown, it is more of a taupe/beige so the colortones don't even match. I never use the powder but someone somewhere might be able to. Again, I think it might be thrown in for darker skin-tones as some sort of general powder/highlighter.

The concealer/highlighter wand is great, actually, despite my belief that most creme based makeups go wrong on cheap lines. The concealer blends smooth and is great for fair-skin and the highlighter is a really thin, lightweight base and finishes in a matte white without any shimmer (it is really hard to find white highlighters that don't glitter or shimmer) so this will be going into my everyday routine, hence.

misc

All over shimmer stick in 'gold dust'. THIS IS MY FAVORITE PURCHASE FROM THIS HAUL and I will go on a small rant right now. ELF has small videos for it's products and the video for their shimmer sticks is awful; it was so bad, infact, it made me take this product out of my shopping cart and I only re-added it because of a positive review from a consumer. The video shows the model cramming this on her cheeks like an elementary student with a crayon which automatically makes you think it is dry and hard to apply (and there is another vain issue I have with the video, on the closeup the pores on the model's nostil-line are so blackhead-ridden and caked with makeup that it makes you never want to buy an elf product so PLEASE SOMEONE from ELF reshoot that video!!!)

This product is fucking rad. I don't generally like shimmers, or gold, but for christmas my step-father took us to a restaurant on the harbor and our waitress had the most over-the-top golddust all over her eyes and I made it my goal, then, to find something I liked in gold. CONTRARY TO THE IMAGE THE VIDEO PRESENTS this shimmer stick is so creamy, you dont have to grind it on at all, you don't even have to rub it. All you have to do is dab and it deposits plenty of pigment. I use my finger, dab the stick, then dab my skin and that is still plenty of pigment. And it blends like a goddamn dream so it's really versatile. Next ELF order I am ordering these in every shade, even the pinks and I hate pink.

I can't say enough. If I had a flashing heart gif that bounced around and flashed the words buy this i would stick it above and below the images :D

misc

misc

This is the facewhip creme and the all over stick in the same color, 'moonbeam'. I bought these to use as highlighters and they are both godawful to the touch.

The facewhip is waterbased from what I can tell so when you put it on with your foundation it seperates against the oil bases and looks splotchy, in tube and on initial application it reminds me of old makeup that hasn't been shaken in a long time and looks disgusting. BUT. It blends beautifully if you can get over that first part and the whip isn't oily or sticky and has a light pearl shimmer.

The all over stick is disgusting. It doesn't really set or dry so while it blends nicely and has a nice color that is slightly more opaque than the whip it feels sticky to the touch and god help you if you apply it under your powder because the powder cakes into the greasyness of it and just, blergh. If you use highlighter on your bottom lip, though, this would would great for that because it reminds me of a lightweight chapstick more than an 'all over' stick.

misc

misc

This is a manic panic lipstick in the shade 'deadly night'. I was iffy about manic panic makeup because it's such a novelty item in dyes but this is the prettiest shade and it's as good, texture-wise and wear-wise, as any lipstick. I think i paid fifteen dollars? Not bad considering the next best color I could find was from MAC, so I saved money and I am happy :)

misc

I went on etsy to look for myrrh soap and this beautiful creation popped up from kawaiicosmetics in a blend of frankincense and myrrh. The scent is dead on but more importantly (I say more importantly because I'm a jackass) LOOK AT THIS GORGEOUS SOAP. Uh, I think it was ten dollars after shipping and I will never, ever use it. I am more tempted to seal it with resin and use it as a decoration because !!SO FUCKING PRETTY!! The tiny hieroglyphics are pristine and the entire bar is cast to look like stone. Love.

misc

misc


"I couldn't find any meaning for my life when I was out there, I'm sure as hell not going to find it in here (in theColumbia Correctional Institution, Wisconsin). This is the grand finale of a life poorly spent and the end result is just overwhelmingly depressing... it's just a sick, pathetic, wretched, miserable life story, that's all it is. How it can help anyone, I've no idea" - Jefferey Dahmer

No comments:

Post a Comment