Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Oi! I hate posting clothes-in-progress but I have four different pieces I am working on at once and feel like I need to begin posting them, otherwise it will be daunting when they are all done! The sewing and dyeing is done, now I am waiting on all the seed beads and black freshwater pearls to arrive to I can begin embellishing them - I actually only just recently began to like beadwork, thanks to the book Ry got me on fashion design. I am pretty excited! Wait to see all of these laces and velvets dripping pearls and irredescent beads! Also a few headbands and chokers I am working on to accompany them.

I have REALLY taken to crochet expansion at the bottom of petticoats - again, something I read out of the fasion design book - apparently crochet in petticoats was a big alternative for the lower class, who couldnt afford yards and yards of laces, in the late 16th century. The book, outside of having amazing photos and inspiring alot of work out of me, has alot of interesting facts. FOR EXAMPLE: the courtesans of florence often wore sandals that had spikes on the bottom outside, that spelled things out, like follow me or this way (how badass). Or that even in 1913-1920 there were still laws in America where women could be imprisoned for wearing skirts higher than three inches from their ankle. Watching the waves of fashion movements is really interesting and you get the sense that at any time one era to the next was just rebelling against what the previous had done.

Anywho, I think there is an outfit photo for both Ry and I thrown in here - I find myself really hating self portraits now that I have someone else to take photos of constantly, so Im not overly interested in SP or outfit photos for myself. Some gifts from home, and a tomato Ry pilfered for me from a vegetable garden.

We leave for New York on Oct1st!! I am excited to see fall and winter there, and be in the snow for the holidays (I've never been in snow!) I think, besides the desert air and never changing weather and unbearable heat, the burbank area is really nice and there are so many things I will miss about it! Ry and I agree, though, that it would be most dreamy to start new, together, elsewhere, and put away our pasts at once. I would so much prefer cranberry bogs, forests, colonial america graveyeards and museums, the delaware river, orange trees, victorian houses.

handmade handmade handmade handmade handmade handmade handmade handmade handmade handmade handmade handmade unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted

Gifts from home

unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted blood in the water Voorheesville ; brilliant, haunting music. (all album artwork by Ry Michael Williams)

3 comments:

  1. Maybe you will get lucky and get one of our 4 feet blizzards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your in-progress shots look amazing. Been reading your blog for a while now, just wanted to say hi and let you know how great your writing/photography is <3

    ReplyDelete