Friday, December 7, 2012

salome with the head of john the baptist ;

Ryan and I walked around the MET together and have hot chocolate and gyros from street vendors and walk through central park. It was such a beautiful day, and it's such a beautiful city. I have been avoiding going because it seems so vast, and I get nervous/anxious, but now I am in love and want to go back to spend the day at the MET (we only had a few hours) and sketch from the armory. Ryan was correct in saying that manhattan has a very european, old feel. The buildings are all so elegant, even housing has reliefs and gryffins and lion busts, ironwork filigree in victorian swirls, steam rising into the cold, wet air.

But the city and park are for another post, right now I have the MET to go through ; We only grazed a few of the rooms, mostly the egyptian displays, the byzantine rooms, and a few of the italian and renaissance rooms and a brief walking jog through the paintings - we didn't get to the costumes or the roman/greek rooms, which I really mourn and we will rectify shortly :p

I had never been in a museum, or nothing on a national/worldwide scale - just local southern museums, in Alabama. I was so speechless over how large some of the great paintings (I'd only seen in books) were. Seeing Salome with the head of john the baptist was so moving. The plus of the MET was that they allowed photography - the only downside of which is that there was no flash, which I don't use often, anyway, but the museum, as museums go, seems so poorly lit. Or, rather, dim. I understand it in the scope of being an introspective place to ponder and gaze, but it made for so-so photos and I suspect would be difficult to sketch from (we will see).

I would say more but Ryan is whispering in my ear about a january "legal marriage" and summer wedding and I am filled with the image of his hands in his pockets in silent awe over the middle dynasty of egypt, ducking into reconstructed tombs, my soon to be husband who loves what I love, who appreciates things on a level I can identify with, who is utterly beautiful, delicate, intelligent, humble.

MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET MET INSTAGRAM INSTAGRAM INSTAGRAM

2 comments:

  1. forever jealous, i would love to go to a museum one day

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are gorgeous images though, Jessica! I love the light/filter on them.

    ReplyDelete