Saturday, January 5, 2013

home;

Little slices of our domestic life. We moved in on tuesday & I have to say, having come to NY with five-hundred dollars and four bags of clothes things have culminated perfectly in three months ; I dont know how we accumulated so many things. We signed a year lease on an open room studio with a seperate bathroom and kitchen - two rooms we have lacked in the last two months and which serve as our favorite spots, now (Ryan likes taking long baths by candlelight and I like cooking again - 7/11 food was our staple diet for months, afterall. Last night I made a basil rotini with pan fried eggplant and mushrooms - drool, drool!! Tonight we are going to buy rice and nori sheets ;)

Our home is humble, certainly, but with what we have accomplished in under a week I feel positive it will be a trove of treasures and artistic, free spirited whimsy by the end. Next on my list is a beaded curtain, another net canopy, and a record player. It is hard to constantly have to re-buy things, but this happens when you move to two different coasts across the US in half a year.

There is a large closet under the stairs, I'm sure everyone can picture an under-the-stairs walkin ; We want to turn it into a darkroom / recording room by mid year, which means building up equipment and chemicals but, oh, exciting! I bought Ryan the prettiest blue corona typewriter and he bought me a heavy-duty sewing machine and dressform - we are slowly helping one another get back to our comfort zones. The cabinet down a few photos is something that was left here by the previous tenant and I covered the shelves with floral contact paper - I dont know if contact paper is a hip thing to use in decorating, it does recall 1980, but there is so much BROWN in this apartment, between the taupe capret and the brown wood panel walls, I have to do something with all the brown furinture...!

Our back looks directly into the woods through two glass doors and a window, so I cant wait for another snowfall where we can sit down on our fabulously 70s green couch with rust orange throw blankets and watch everything go white, sip peach green tea ; crawl into our warm bed with granny throws and a rose embroidered canopy. Enjoy being warm and healthy and happy, incense smoke curling in the air.

unsorted unsorted

Our kitchen should be full of fresh herbs, rosemary is the first! And look at these botany plate teacups, oh!!

unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted

Perhaps off-topic but Ryan took me out to Amityville to visit the Amityville horror house ; I walked along the property edge and have to say, it didn't feel particularly evil or different. I think it is a shame the current owners tore out the half moon windows and renovated the home and address to displace tourists. If you want an expensive dutch colonial home that isnt famous and the sake of ten films and countless documentaries on hauntings and paranormal activity then, i say, buy one of the others in the adjoining five neighborhoods that all look that same. Dont buy something renowned and then act put off that it is renowned and change it !!

unsorted unsorted We also stumbled onto an old colonial cemetery through a barn sale at a church & a frozen lake - my first time seeing one!

unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted

10 comments:

  1. This is fantastic! I am glad your move has gone smoothly and that you are settling down in NY!

    I tend to dislike moving because it always seems as if you are throwing things away and buying them again. At the same time, a fresh start never hurts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've done more in a week to make that place your own than I've done in three years. (but then again your house in the woods is far more exciting than my little flat in the city) Good lord. At the risk of sounding impossibly cheesy, you two are a force of nature. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, i love your new home! happy for you guys <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooo pretty. i am encourage to reorganize my townhouse and actually use the bedrooms....

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh that's so weird I just bought that contact paper today!! Your place looks lovely - especially the wood paneling!

    -madi

    ReplyDelete
  6. if you do not mind, i would love to send you a housewarming gift! i have followed your blogs for so long, since livejournal! i remember being so happy to see someone so darkly creative coming out of mobile, where my family was born. i'm really happy for you to see you pursuing your dreams in such wonderlands! you can email me at hipporacle@gmail.com if you're open to it! <3 take care

    fox :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy for you! I'm sure you'll have the place feeling like a little wonderland soon enough. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks great
    i like the atmosphere you always manage to create:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm discovering your blog since yesterday, and I'm so in love with the atmosphere of your pictures, creations and couple you are making !

    It's really full of inspiration and dreamy weather !
    Hope you'll continue to write more and more and I'm going to read more :)

    ReplyDelete