Wednesday, March 13, 2013

this is.. legend

The fantasy movies of my youth that I was overly-familiar with were titles like Labyrinth or The neverending story, both of which I enjoyed at the time but had no overall nostalgia for, the way some people do. Ryan was talking about the devil in film and mentioned Legend - which I had never even heard of, and he was beside himself and made me watch it at that moment. It is hands down my all time favorite film - I wish I had not missed it when I was growing up, it would have fueled alot of imagination for the child-me.

At this point in my life I would say of all things - people, works of art, film, literature: this movie is my largest inspiration.

It's not just that the story is beautiful but that the directing/cutting/prop work of this film is pure, 100% genius, in the way that only a film from the 80s can be - we are talking elves and devils and faries that are all real suits, shots that have to use light and the sun and dumping glitter and bubbles into frames to get effects and overall feel. I am so vastly inspired by this film, it makes me, at once, want to sew tattered princess dresses or romp through hot forests or do shoots with glitter, gallons of glitter that is suddenly made magical instead of tacky as I've usually perceived it. DID I MENTION THE DRIVING PLOT IS UNICORNS? This scene, this particular scene of snow and sakura blossoms through the storm and the unicorns rearing and falling, it is the most beautiful scene I have ever seen in a film.

4 3 2 1

2 comments:

  1. Omgosh I LOVE this movie SO MUCH! <3333 I grew up with it and I'm still all swoon over it :3
    I have to watch it before I go to bed, seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  2. intrigued! Looks beautiful. Not on netflix and so i must search the last few video stores in the world.

    ReplyDelete