Monday, May 13, 2013

We have been taking long, four hour hikes around the area, coming home and napping (after literally four hours of walking in the sun falling asleep in ryan's armpitt fees so good). Making popsicles at home and fresh lemonade, brussel sprouts and spinach for dinner, pistachio icecream. Collecting from the droves of wild lilac and mossy fields. Pomegranate soap and black tea. Got everything washed this weekend, fluffy towels, clean bedsheets. Art supplies this week and toying with new mediums. Lots of grimes.

My auntie recently divulged much information about our family history to me and sent cencus scans all the way back to 1910 - apparently my great grandmother's name was dubroshka polye - her father was a vet in chernigov and when he was killed by reds she fled to germany - married my great grandfather, jacob fuchs. They fled germany together and came to New york, changed their last name to fox (still our family name) and had a nice little yiddish life in the bronx. How romantic! I always knew about the german heritage but was largely unaware of the russian, which I think is so fantastic! Her name was so beautiful - if i have a daughter one day i want to name her dubroshka-iska - my actual name, jessica, was created by Shakespeare for a jewish character in merchant of venice, and it's believed the name was derived from the biblical iskah - translations changed it to Jeska, which became jessica when he was looking for a shylock name. I have often considered changing my legal name to iskah, it's ryan's petname for me - but i think it would go so well with my great grandmother's name.

unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted

(New york is a canopy of green!!)

unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted

(priming canvas!)

unsorted

I made a witch music box, it's available in the shop

unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted

2 comments:

  1. That story is beautiful, it's really nice your aunt has the pictures today.
    I was wondering, did you learn how to sew and make (beautiful) clothes from her? Or did you just "go for it" and teach yourself. Your work is always breataking. From your photographs ,blogspots..oh everything is so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have Ukrainian roots =) Chernigov is in Ukraine!
    Love your photos. There are so inspiring and atmospheric.

    ReplyDelete