Monday, May 27, 2013

you'd prefer an astronaut

It's been a long weekend of forest explorations & I am most happy to report that on one adventure through shaded, gnarled treelimbs and shrouds of shady lace we found ourselves descending tree-root stairs into a small, secluded area of ocean and beachfront - it was like finding some secret, special place and I cant wait to swim there in the summer (it's actually still pretty cold here). To get to it we must trek through the new England cemetery with graves dating to 1780s, through the haunted forest that I recently posted photos from, through a clearing and narrow trail and then blue, blue as far as you can see. I would also like to report to you fine people that Ryan and I basically live in a treehouse and with warm afternoons and leaving our glass doors open, we had a little wren fly in :) I like living in the wilderness of new York, with wild birds paying visits to us like a Cinderella scene (but there was less bird-decorating-us-in-dresses-and-ribbon and more of us chasing him around a dresser five times and shooing him out (and perhaps a moment when ryan serenaded him with his own rendition of UB40s wren,wren wine (hah!) All of the baby ducks were out in the parks this weekend, too, and I had a Kermit the frog moment of shaking my head back and forth in utter abandonment and glee over their soft down and their little chirps.

Romeo and Juliet on VHS, icecream, so much knitting as Ryan and his friends recorded guitar tracks, young adult novels from the library. Glass door cabinets wrestled out of dumpsters (but that is for another post, when I sand and paint it). Ryan is really into a Jurassic park game app - I mention it because I told him I was going to tell the world that he spends hours a night, now, feeding his brontosaurus and re-arranging his park attractions to get optimal gold (since he has always given me a questionable look about my own obsession with jewel mania. Well, well. Who is the nerd, now?

I also finished my first crochet'd clothing piece - a sweater with massive sleeves and a massive hood, wide open knit, aptly named the druidess. Two pounds of yarn into this baby, and sore fingers! I am excited to get it into the shop sometime this week, I will update the usual sites when that happens, of course, and I am excited that a few wiccan shops in Sayville, NY have agreed to offer them for sale, as well, and I will update with info/directions and photos when you can purchase a piece from BlackZodiac in the flesh :) (cool!) I put everything I love into this one, the ceremonial sleeves and a hood that is giant, so giant that when you wear it down it's almost like a black cowl snuggled around your neck. Open knit, very springy and soft and massive all around. I wanted to make something that was urban and wearable and fashionable and didn't translate to a costume, but had the elements of things I enjoy wearing in costumes for my photography. And not to ound really put on about it but I think I hit it perfectly - I could both wear this with my most sleek gothic outfit into the city, or into the woods for a photo session.

unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unosrted unsorted unsorted unsorted

(in progress and finished)

unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted

3 comments:

  1. Is that a Death in June patch on the back of your sweater :D?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You inspire the hell out of me. Love the way you love your life. And that sweeeater.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That antler/horn/tusk necklace. Did you make it? If not, where did you get it? Pretty sure my life won't be complete until I have one.

    ReplyDelete