Monday, August 5, 2013

down the delaware

Ah! So a few new things to add to my what I did in 2013 (which ive been compiling in my head and the list of new experiences this year is pretty impressive! Two friends took us upstate to canoe down the delaware river and it was so spiritual - honestly, i feel a deep, deep connection to rivers - I felt it in sleepy hollow and I felt it again in calicoon on sunday! Ryan and I had never been canoeing, so we learned together - at one point a rainstorm came in and again, it was spiritual to feel a real, mortal fear as our canoe rocked under the grey clouds and we struggled to the shore without tipping over as the water rushed, and stood on the forest bank under the overhead canopy of trees for protection with a pure white akita sitting watchfully as a tourgroup of frenchmen beached near us and waited it out, too, in expressive language and wine drinking. Riding down through the long grass and gnarled treetrunks you could almost hear the iroquoi indians along the banks, could imagine perfectly in the darkest, hidden places where those arrows would come flying out of, and I felt like I was on a john smith trek up the waterway! We stopped in several spots to dig through the rocks and river edge mud for relics and treasures, or to swim, or to eat packed lunches.

Earlier in the week ryan and I went berry picking - we found enough wild raspberries that I could try my hand at making tarts, which I thought came out excellently! Although I have a horrible case of poison ivy, now, and am soaking myself in witch hazel and waiting eagerly for it to pass (but it was worth it!)

unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted

A few things found. The white bit had a name on the bottom and after google and image help Ive determined its a ponds bottle for vaseline from the 50s. The rest, just old coke bottom tops & one stone that seemed really purposely edged.

unsorted

1 comment: