Saturday, November 16, 2013

mechanical man

The less I update and am online is probably directly related to how well life is going ; I got a job, finally, part time, making sandwiches and soup and cookies - the people are nice, the responsibility is limited, the season is slow with the onslaught of winter in New York. So I've months ahead of me sitting peacefully, making chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin cookies and toasty chicken clubs (and eating what I like in the course of the day) and being paid to do so. It's a five minute bikeride from home, to boot, which I like alot (the idea of being able to bike or walk in). With what i make selling handmade dresses and sweaters I think the season will be just fine. And truly, having a small daytime job is good for the spirit, I've found I have far more energy and am generally happier and more productive with my more-limited free time.

My first long shift was yesterday, a twelve hour day, and though I am off today ryan left at 4AM for his job in manhattan, I guess these are the lives of adults. It's our first snowfall here today so I am drinking hot chocolate, working on a sweater, and roasting seckel pears and starfruit in the oven. Tonight I will roast small gold potatoes and, maybe, make some kind of broth. I really do adore winter, and I am glad I have a real one here on the east coast. Ryan and I found so many secret places this summer, I cant wait to see them endowed with snow. I think my new favorite time of the day is when ryan and I are both off work, showered and warm, and squeeze onto our small couch together to watch married with children. And he is so good! He picks me up from my shift with my favorite coffee, he goes to the post office to mail my sales out if I dont have time, ug, little dreamy things. It's the little things that really stay with you, I'm finding.

On my list is get a tree (a real tree, there is a small family owned treefarm right down the road!) and decorate it with all the tinsil my heart can stand. Crochet laceweight bookmarkers. Work on more sweaters and scarves. Use silver and white satin more (something about winter makes me love satin dresses, must be fond memories of holiday themed theater in my childhood). Watch wes anderson movies and listen to among my swan on vinyl (my first paycheck is buying a recordplayer and mazzy star pressings).

I don't think anyone looks at my blogspot, it's never going to be the kind of networking for me that livejournal was, or even instagram is now, but i like to keep it as a collection of my work and life as it moves along. Reason for that though is the seemingly pointless plug of my shop here : I have been taking silversmithing classes at night & recently released a few of my pieces into my shop (www.conjuration.bigcartel.com) - the problem being that it is an expensive hobby, and if I spent that money I just want to wear what I make, so, mostly I am doing that - mostly I am working with labradorite, rainbow and blue moonstones, and lapis because of my particular fondness for them and their properties. (labradorite had me at the tale of eskimos believing the northern lights had become trapped in it). I am also steadily taking commissions, have been pleased to make no less than one dress a week custom, and that they are all being bought as wedding gowns. Probably in the event I really start coming into money for luxery materials I would do bridalwear exclusively in a gypsy/bohemian and nouveau strain.

I couldn't be happier right now, sans some kind of gourmet cupcake in my mouth. A really cute movie I watched recently was The Giant Mechanical Man (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5D8JMsPk3o), there is a scene where jenna fischer says she is 30 and doesnt know what she wants to do with life and she didnt see why it was a problem, and it really spoke to me as only a romantic comedy with jenna fischer can. God, I really related to this character, and her romantic turn, with ryan.

Other things that might inspire you: The milky way as seen from the VLT or the earth from the ISS.

unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted unsorted

15 comments:

  1. So few things speak to me these days. I really miss that feeling.

    /Avy

    http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Blogspot always inspires me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you got a job you are content with! It sounds absolutely lovely! Your level of productivity is amazing (if I could reach a tenth of that I could get so much more done). I am also looking forward to winter, though living in a city means there's a lot less evergreen and woods. Still, I'll make do with eggnog and christmas music on the radio.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! Your photos are just wonderfull !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always been more of a lurker than a commenter but I've always found your blog so inspiring and I can't help but feel excited whenever I see you've updated <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blogspot, and the main reason I'm here is because you slowed down the LJ use. :)

    I love your photographs! and I love living vicariously through your descriptions of New York. and reading about your happiness and contented struggles makes me feel so happy that you met Ryan and live together. and you make the most gorgeous things, ahhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read your blog spot religiously!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i also read your blogspot incessantly. i love it & it inspires me :) i've actually been meaning to post comments more often. i actually have a tentative commission request i'd like to talk to you about? i love your sweaters, but my would-be sweater wearer is a toddler, and i don't know if you do that sort of thing? my e-mail is genevammxiii@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too am a big fan of your blog! Have been reading since I found Boys for Pele while random web surfing, now some years ago. Like others have said, you are very inspiring. Your talent and productivity are prodigious. Keep up the good work, remember many send warm thoughts and love to you both - blessings abound. Take care of yourself and get plenty of protein and spice. Have fun at work. x0x0 to you and Ryan (dude rules!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing your life with the world. It has a dark, delicate, and feral cast to it, and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm also a quite reader of your blog.

    I have no idea how I discover it, but I really love it so much.. sometimes I'm wondering how you can find the time to do so many crafty cutie things and as other commentaires, I'm enjoying the review of the stories in your life and I really love looking at your creations..

    (as I don't have any cellphone with internet and co, I don't use instagram and I'm happy to read real blogs..)

    heartsless-witch.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your blog! It's magical. :]

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been following your lovely work since you were on LJ many years ago, and still enjoy catching up with the happenings in your life via this blog. As many have already said, you manage to capture everyday magic so beautifully that I can't tear myself away from it. I'm sure more people read this blog than you realize ;)

    ReplyDelete